Production

 Production


CV- The first draft, spelling mistakes still need to be edited.



MOCK INTERVIEW-






PERSONAL STATEMENT- Draft One.

Journalism has always meant so much to me. Breaking news has always been at the forefront of people’s minds. It has moved on from just newspapers and radio broadcasts and now it is social media, the digital world is taking over. People are constantly refreshing their Twitter, Instagram and Facebook on their shiny new smartphones searching for that story. And I want to give it to them.

My passion has always been particularly sports journalism and it will always be my dream to work in this industry. Playing sport from a young age and growing up I have always wanted to be involved somehow. And now is my chance, over my past three years of studying media I have had the opportunity to hone my skills and want the opportunity to further develop them at the best place of education possible, your university.

In my three years of study, I have worked on a documentary on my local football team, King’s Lynn Town and even had the opportunity to film them with a BT Sport Film crew that went out live on BT Sport and a news broadcast at the BBC. I have worked as part of a team or individually in multiple different modules that have strengthened my understanding and competence of the media industry while at my college. It has helped my confidence with different pieces of software that will be mandatory in the industry and really solidified my undying interest in journalism.

A major thing I have learnt about journalism from peers and people I know who have studied journalism is that it is not just about one piece of writing. The amount of research, planning and dedication you must put into a single story is monumental, but personally, I see myself thriving off this. When I was sixteen, I went out and got my first job, a waiter at a restaurant and it has taught me so many key life skills that can be applied anywhere. I understand that interviewing and dealing with clients is an essential part of journalism and I think my people skills are very strong, working in a restaurant environment you must deal with people’s needs constantly and calm people down who are agitated and upset. These are two things I think I am exceptional at and would be a real asset to me as a journalist.

As a person, I like to think I work in a team well and am a diligent listener. I believe that I would be an asset to your university and would immerse myself in all different forms of student activities. I love journalism and my course would be at the centre of university life always meeting deadlines, attending lectures and being the best student, I can be.

I aspire to graduate from university and capture a role in the sports journalism industry constantly pushing myself and achieving my goals.


Personal Statement-Final Draft 

In my opinion, breaking news and journalism has always been at the forefront of the modern world. Since I was young it has always been my ambition and desire to be an entity in the machine that is the media industry. Watching events unfold live through written, verbal, and visual means of communication is mesmerising, and being able to be a part of the behind the scenes of this process, and report on it, would be the ultimate achievement. 

My passion has always been particularly sports journalism and it is my main goal to work and compete in this profession. Playing sport from a young age enabled me to grasp an understanding of different sports and growing up I have always wanted to be involved. This has been further altered by reading publications, listening to radio broadcasts, and watching any program that is available. Taking in all the information on offer aids me to both understand and have my own stance on issues. 

An additional factor of journalism can be working late or long unsociable hours however this to me is completely worth it. Having a dedication to your chosen subject is key, and you cannot succeed if you're not completely immersed in what you are doing. Now is my chance to take this one step further. Over my past years of studying media I have had the opportunity to hone my skills and begin to study journalism. I therefore, desire the opportunity to further develop these aspirations at the very best place of education available, your university. 

In my three years of study at college, I have had opportunities to film my local team King's Lynn Town with a BT Sport Film crew for a live stream, operating a multi-cam setup. I have worked as part of a team or individually in various different modules that have strengthened my understanding and competence of the media world. 

Practical methods are the strong core of my current course and I have excellent experience of handling a multitude of different types of equipment such as cameras, audio recorders and lighting kits. Creative projects and using the different pieces of software that will be mandatory in the industry has really helped solidify my dedicated interest in journalism. My practical work has been good, and the experience gained invaluable. However, my academic writing side has not gone unnoticed, receiving an invitation to an award ceremony for my grades and being predicted a distinction in each of my three years of attending college.

One of the most crucial things I have learnt about journalism is that it's not about one single piece of writing. The amount of research, planning and dedication you must put into a single story is monumental, but I find myself thriving on this. Outside of education, I work in the hospitality industry and this has taught me so many key life insights that can be applied anywhere. Interviewing and dealing with clients is an essential part of journalism and I think my people skills are very strong. Working in a restaurant environment you must deal with people's needs constantly and be able to remain calm and focused in stressful conditions. These are two things that would be a real asset to me as a journalist. Through both my paid work, experience and time at college I have gained both the confidence and capability to present myself excellently, whether that be in front of an audience, through a microphone or behind the lens of a camera. University would give me the platform to culminate these skills allowing me to better myself as an individual and a modern-day journalist. 

As a person, I work in a team efficiently and am a diligent listener. I believe that I would be an asset to your university and would immerse myself in all different forms of student activities. I love journalism and my course would be at the centre of university life always meeting deadlines, attending lectures, and diving headfirst into every project.  Being the best version of myself is important to me, both in education and work experience.



TELEPHONE SKILLS-Mock Phone Call



Formal Letter-


Patrick McGahren

52 Regency Avenue

King’s Lynn

Norfolk

PE30 4UF

Patrickmcgahren123@gmail.com

07507738630

Aspect Publishing

Gosforth Industrial Estate

Newcastle Upon Tyne

NE3 1HN

 

Dear Sir/Madam

It is with great pleasure that I write to you today to apply for the role of a reporter at your wonderful institution in Newcastle. Journalism is my passion and has been since I was young. Working as part of your team would turn my dream into reality.

Firstly I am fresh out of university and ready to work and step up to this fantastic opportunity, as you can see from my C.V I graduated with good honours however it’s my diverse skill set that I believe can really set me apart from other candidates. In my time at college and university, I have worked on many different projects including magazine articles from scratch, documentaries, and live camera production. These gave me valuable experience with different software and equipment. All adobe software I am comfortable and compatible with and equipment such as the H4 Zoom recorder, Panasonic camera and DSLR I know my way around. Being comfortable with equipment and software is not something they teach you at university so I think it gives me a good advantage that I won’t need to be shown how different software’s work I can jump straight in.

What I did learn from university was competitive writing. The three years I spent there really helped me adhere straight to the type of writing that I needed to use to ensure readers listen, balancing this with my practical skills and my passion for journalism it makes me stronger in the field. From working on multiple journalism projects, I now also understand the amount of time that goes into researching a story and how difficult it can be to find sources. Working at your publication this is something I think I can really work on and only get stronger at.

Finally, all I can say is that this is my first choice and will always be. Journalism is not just a career for me it is a passion and something that I want to do for the rest of my life. Thank you for taking the time to look at this letter and I look forward to hearing from you soon

 

Yours Sincerely,

Patrick McGahren



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Evaluation

Research